Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens’ mission is to provide authentic Japanese cultural experiences that entertain, educate and inspire. Since opening in 1977, Morikami has been a center for Japanese arts and culture in South Florida. With rotating exhibitions, tea ceremonies performed monthly in the Seishin-an tea house, educational outreach programs with local schools and organizations, and Japanese traditional festivals celebrated for the public several times a year, Morikami strives to spread appreciation for the living culture of Japan.
Morikami underwent a major redesign and update over the summer of 2019. Project goals focused on updating visual branding assets and content, aligning the user experience with contemporary standards, streamlining the navigation architecture, and developing a brand new automated membership management platform. The end result was a large step forward in frontend user experience and a vastly enhanced content management process.
Backend improvements included updating the content management interface to make it easier for multiple admin users to remain on brand when creating new content. The end result makes it much easier for admins from the retail store, education department, membership department, and marketing department to manage a dynamic ecommerce environment that has more than 200 retail products and an even higher number of education and membership products.
- A strong material design approach makes it easy for site visitors to visually distinguish the large number of events on listings and searches.
- Gorgeous landing pages for Morikami’s Gardens, Museum, Festival, and Plan Your Visit sections serve as portals to interior page content via an image based masonry grid user interface.
- Individual program and exhibit pages feature stunning full width background images.
- A thoughtfully designed event management layout condenses a vast amount of offerings across multiple areas of interest into intuitive, user friendly calendars and lists.
- A brand new membership platform allows patrons to purchase, renew or gift memberships online.
- New members can now enjoy online benefits immediately after purchasing their membership.
- New member account pages provide members with an overview of their plan, upcoming renewals, and list of benefits.
- Improved member discounting for store and education products.
- Renewals can be auto or manually billed.
- Membership gifting provides the gift givers all of the ecommerce details while gift recipients only see benefit info.
- Gift memberships can be transferred to recipients at any time.
- WCAG compliant color contrast.
- Custom typography resources Morikami’s print assets.
- Sticky navigation makes it easy for patrons to navigate and purchase tickets across all device types.
- Minimalistic social share feature makes it easier to visitors to engage.